Small Discoveries Saturdays is a series of journal entries on SCOUT’s site where we shine a light on the little tips and treats that we have found help make pregnancy and parenting go a bit smoother.
We’re excited to introduce you to this month’s guest contributor, Arielle Fears, co-owner of Music City Doulas. In addition to being a Labor Doula, Postpartum Doula and Postpartum Placenta Specialist, Arielle is also a Childbirth Educator and a Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga Instructor.
This month: 5 Tips for Navigating Pregnancy by Music City Doulas
My favorite thing about working with new and expecting parents is seeing their confidence build as they begin to find their rhythm. They’re going through some transitions that are both exciting and scary at the same time. They are folding in a new layer to their identities. Many don’t know where to start, and I am often asked for some guidance. Here are my top five tips for navigating your best pregnancy:
1. Create a self-care routine. This doesn’t have to be something elaborate, but a
small item added to your normal process of getting ready. Buy the luxurious balm and use a body brush and coconut oil. This can make all the difference in how you feel starting your day. Also, treat yourself to more lavish acts. Take a bubble bath, or better yet, gift yourself a float session to ease physical tension. You’re worth it.
2. Begin exploring what is important to you about your child’s birth. Talk with your doctor about your preferences for labor and delivery, and don’t be afraid to ask questions and communicate your desires. Collaborative care during pregnancy can make all the difference for a more connected birth team. Your doula is familiar with the procedures and policies of all area birthing facilities and can help you navigate the choices you will have in any given scenario.
3. Invest in clothing that makes you feel beautiful. Many of us experience self-conscious thoughts and fixations on a regular basis, and it can intensify during pregnancy with all the changes our bodies go through. Celebrate the changes and your incredible power. It may feel silly to buy quality maternity clothing you think you won’t wear that long, but what’s silly about giving yourself a boost of confidence? Sometimes part of feeling good is looking good. And here’s a tip: Maternity fashion rental.
4. Strike a balance between activity and rest. Walking is widely recommended as one of the safest activities you can take up while pregnant. This is something you can do every day alone or with a friend or loved one to get fresh air and clear your head. If you would additionally like activities that build stamina and resilience as you prepare for birth and parenthood, prenatal yoga and barre are wonderful options. Always speak with your doctor before commencing a new workout regimen.
5. As you get closer to meeting your baby, take any unsolicited advice or even judgments with a grain of salt. In short, keep being you. Give yourself lots of grace, and do your best to enjoy this last bit of time with your family as it is before you welcome your new love. Do your favorite relaxing activities together. Go out to eat. Curl up and watch movies. Connect with other parents in the same season of life. Speak your truth, and move self-assuredly into parenthood!
Arielle Fears is a Labor Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Postpartum Placenta Specialist, Prenatal Yoga Instructor and owner of Music City Doulas, Middle Tennessee’s premier full service doula agency. As a trusted expert on babies, early parenting, and pregnancy, Arielle fosters safe and nonjudgmental relationships with her clients and students, honoring the needs of the individual and celebrating the diversity found within the realm of parenthood.